NEW YORK — The FBI is issuing a formal warning to sports leagues about organized theft groups targeting professional athletes.
The warning follows a rash of burglaries, beginning in September, at the homes of professional athletes while they are playing games or traveling.
Dallas Mavericks guard Luka Doncic was the latest victim after his home was broken into last week. Kansas City Chiefs stars Travis Kelce and Patrick Mahomes’ properties were also targeted.
“These homes are targeted for burglary due to the perception they may have high-end goods like designer handbags, jewelry, watches, and cash,” the FBI said in a Liaison Information Report obtained by ABC News.
“While many burglaries occur while homes are unoccupied, some burglaries occur while residents are home. In these instances, individuals are encouraged to seek law enforcement help and avoid engaging with criminals, as they may be armed or use violence if confronted.”
According to the FBI, organized theft groups from South America conduct physical and technical surveillance in preparation for these burglaries, using publicly available information and social media to identify a pattern of life for a prospective victim. They often know in advance where valuables are kept in a home.
“These preparation tactics enable theft groups to conduct burglaries in a short amount of time. Organized theft groups bypass alarm systems, use Wi-Fi jammers to block Wi-Fi connections and disable devices, cover security cameras, and obfuscate their identities,” the document said.
The FBI encouraged more reporting by athletes of suspicious activity and suggested athletes keep records of valuables, inventorying items and their whereabouts, employ additional security and use caution on social media, to include refraining from posting pictures of valuables, the interior of one’s home, and real-time posts when on vacation.
———-
* Get Eyewitness News Delivered
* Download the abc7NY app for breaking news alerts
Have a breaking news tip or an idea for a story we should cover? Send it to Eyewitness News using the form below. If attaching a video or photo, terms of use apply.
Copyright © 2024 ABC News Internet Ventures.
Sports Medicine Report is SportingKC.com’s look at the latest health update around the team ahead of upcoming matches and is pre
João Palhinha's 2024/25 season has been marred by injury and the Portuguese midfielder had another setback against Bochum.Palhinha was sent off in the 43rd min
MLB.com and its beat writers surveyed over 100 players asking them which MLB player would excel at another sport and two Cincinnati Reds players ranked in the T
When tracking down the details of the Raiders’ latest contract with Maxx Crosby on Thursday, I had a question for our sou