The best part of the NBA All-Star Weekend 2024 won’t return in 2025.
On Thursday, the league announced that there will be no NBA-WNBA shootout at this year’s All-Star Saturday. Last year’s event saw Steph Curry of the Golden State Warriors defeat Sabrina Ionescu of the New York Liberty in a thrilling 3-point contest that was seemingly a huge benefit to both the men’s and women’s game.
However, neither side reportedly wanted a rematch, leading to Thursday’s news.
“We weren’t able to land on a plan we thought would raise the bar off of last year’s special moment,” NBA spokesman Mike Bass said in a statement. “We all agreed not to proceed and will instead keep the focus on All-Star Sunday’s new format.”
NBA-WNBA shootout with Stephen Curry and Sabrina Ionescu is off. NBA’s Mike Bass: “We weren’t able to land on a plan we thought would raise the bar off of last year’s special moment. We all agreed not to proceed and will instead keep the focus on All-Star Sunday’s new format.”
— Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania) February 13, 2025
The idea was essentially dead once Caitlin Clark reportedly declined to participate in a proposed expanded format that would have paired her and Ionescu against Curry and Klay Thompson. Clark, through her agency, stated in January that she “wants her first 3-point contest to be at WNBA All-Star in Indianapolis this summer,” a decision that WNBA star Cameron Brink publicly applauded.
With Clark out, any hopes of a Curry-Ionescu rematch quickly faded. According to The Athletic’s Joe Vardon and Anthony Slater, neither player was particularly interested.
League sources with direct knowledge of the negotiations said Curry and Ionescu were not interested in a rematch. They wanted to expand the competition to include WNBA superstar Caitlin Clark, and potentially Curry’s former teammate Klay Thompson. But when Clark, through a statement issued by her sports agency in January, declined to participate, saying she “wants her first 3-point contest to be at WNBA All-Star in Indianapolis this summer,” it all but doomed the men-against-women shooting contest.
That didn’t stop the NBA from making a last-ditch effort to salvage the event as late as Wednesday, per The Athletic, but the league failed to get both sides on board. There was even discussion of shifting the competition to Sunday during a break in the reformatted All-Star Game, but that idea never gained traction.
And just like that, the most exciting addition to All-Star Weekend in years disappears — not with a bang, but with a half-hearted shrug.
Feb 13, 2025; Dallas, Texas, USA; Mark Cuban laughs during the second half of the game between the Dallas Mavericks and Miami Heat at American Airlines
The Boston Celtics are one of the teams who are expected to be a contender at the end of the season. They are the defending NBA champions, so they feel like the
Nikola Jokić is still rewriting the record books — and treating it like just another day at the office. In a 149-141 overtime win over the Phoenix Suns
The New York Knicks are one of the best teams in the NBA, but as of late, they have been defined more by their struggles than their triumphs.The Knicks are 0-7