WATCH: Scenes from Freehold Raceway final race video
Freehold Raceway’s final race before shutdown on Saturday, Dec. 28, 2024 was won by the No. 4 horse, T’s Raider II.
State officials will transfer a $1.6 million taxpayer subsidy from the recently shuttered Freehold Raceway in Monmouth County to the Meadowlands Racetrack in East Rutherford.
Gov. Phil Murphy recently signed a bill approving the move.
Previously, the state’s three racetracks received shares of a $20 million pool of state subsidies: $10 million went to Monmouth Park in Oceanport, $6 million to the Meadowlands Racetrack, and $1.6 million to Freehold Raceway.
Last September, Murphy approved a measure giving the $20 million a year in taxpayer money to subsidize horse racing purses at the three racetracks through 2029.
He cautioned that the money might not be available on a yearly basis, and that it would be up to his successor to sign a budget that includes the yearly appropriations.
New Jersey’s horse racing industry adds about $3.2 billion to the state economy, the Agriculture Department estimated in 2021. Officials at the Meadowlands Racetrack estimate that they employ about 430 people and spend $60 million a year on payroll and goods and services.
“The funding promised by this [law] will allow New Jersey to continue to offer one of the most exciting horse racing experiences in the nation, while also providing a boost to an industry that is integral to our economy,” Murphy said in a September statement.
Jeffrey Gural, who owns the Meadowlands Racetrack, said the venue is mainly competing with others in Yonkers, New York, and the Poconos. According to public records, the Yonkers Casino received a $19.6 million subsidy from Yonkers city officials.
Both Gural and Tyler Jones, a spokesperson for Murphy’s office, said the $1.6 million previously going to Freehold Raceway would help the Meadowlands Racetrack add more race days.
“Without transferring the purse subsidy, we wouldn’t have enough money to make it worthwhile for them to race,” Gural said in a phone interview.
Daniel Munoz covers business, consumer affairs, labor and the economy for NorthJersey.com and The Record.
Email: munozd@northjersey.com; Twitter:@danielmunoz100 and Facebook
Photo: Jason Moran / Eclipse Sportswire Jockey Mychel Sanchez will serve a seven-day suspension and pay an additional $1,750 in fines
Photo: Gulfstream Park / Lauren King Sovereignty, dramatic late-running winner of the Fountain of Youth (G2) March 1, is being pointed
Photo: Santa Anita / Benoit Photo Cavalieri and Alpha Bella, who finished one-two in the Grade 3 La Cañada in January at Santa Anita,
Photo: Gonzalo Anteliz Jr. / Eclipse Sportswire The stars will shine Saturday at Tampa Bay Downs, and not just in the Grade 3 Tampa Ba