Chris Kluwe, a former NFL punter who was recently thrust into the national spotlight after he was arrested at a California city council meeting, voiced his support for lawmakers who blocked the Protection of Women and Girls in Sports Act from moving forward in the Senate.
Republican lawmakers failed to get the 60 votes needed to break a filibuster.
Not a single Senate Democrat voted in favor of the bill. Two Republicans and two Democrats were absent from the vote.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM
Ex-NFL punter Chris Kluwe speaks during a Huntington Beach City Council meeting. (City of Huntington Beach)
Kluwe, who played for the Minnesota Vikings his entire career, reacted in a post on BlueSky.
“I support and am happy the party came together to stop this,” Kluwe wrote. “However, this is what they should be doing on EVERYTHING. I’ve said it before and I’ll keep saying it – we are in an existential crisis as a country. We’re either going to emerge as Americans, or as something else.”
RILEY GAINES OPENS UP ON POSSIBLY RUNNING FOR OFFICE AS SHE FIGHTS AGAINST DEMS LETTING MALES IN GIRLS’ SPORTS
Minnesota Vikings punter Chris Kluwe walks off the field after a game against the Houston Texans at Reliant Stadium. (Thomas Campbell/USA Today Sports)
The Protection of Women and Girls in Sports Act would require Title IX to treat gender as “recognized based solely on a person’s reproductive biology and genetics at birth” and would disallow any adjustment for it to apply to gender identity.
The bill was introduced by Sen. Tommy Tuberville, R-Ala., and has more than 40 co-sponsors in the Senate. It would also codify one of Trump’s many recent executive orders, giving the policy better longevity.
Former Minnesota Vikings NFL player Chris Kluwe joins a small group of protesters outside the Pelican Hill Country Club, where Vice President Mike Pence was scheduled to attend a luncheon fundraiser in Newport Beach, Calif., Oct. 9, 2017. (Robyn Beck/AFP via Getty Images)
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
President Donald Trump issued an executive order last month to prohibit biological males from competing in women’s and girls sports. The order would withhold federal funding from states that continue to allow transgender inclusion in women’s and girls sports.
Fox News’ Julia Johnson contributed to this report.
Follow Fox News Digital’s sports coverage on X and subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.
Great Britain's Cameron Norrie fought from a set down to reach the third round at Indian Wells but top seed Alexander Zverev was d
His coach Brad Stine says that these types of big goals are what keeps the New Jersey native motivated. “There are still a lot of things within the sport tha
The latest setback for Nick Kyrgios has the Australian tennis player wondering aloud about his future. A nagging wrist injury forced an emotional Kyrgios to r
The 2025 Indian Wells tournament is well underway as the stars of the WTA Tour search for success in the Californian desert.Several top stars will believe they